Taymouth Castle is situated in the village of Kenmore surrounded by 450 acres of park and woodlands stretching to the south bank of the River Tay.
The Castle stands on the site of the much older Balloch Castle, which was built in 1552 as the seat of the Campbell clan. In the early 19th century, Balloch Castle was demolished so that the much larger castle could be rebuilt on the site.
Built in a neo-Gothic style and on a lavish scale, Taymouth Castle is regarded as the most important Scottish castle in private ownership. Its public rooms are outstanding examples of the workmanship of the finest craftsmen of the 19th century. No expense was spared on the castle’s interior, which was decorated with extravagant carvings, plasterwork, and murals.
Francis Bernasconi, acknowledged as the greatest designer of fine plasterwork of the era, created the magnificent central staircase, which connects all four storeys of the central tower.
The Castle is a Category A-listed building and the grounds are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, the national listing of significant gardens.
Historic Environment Scotland have graded the Castle as ‘outstanding’ in all of the following categories: ‘Work of Art,’ ‘Historical,’ ‘Architectural,’ and ‘Scenic.’ They also acknowledged that due to the remnants of its pinetum and the outstanding size of its remaining trees, it also has significant horticultural value.
Taymouth Castle has been empty since 1982 and sadly, twelve of its buildings and structures are recorded on the Buildings at Risk Register. This is now being addressed with a comprehensive restoration and redevelopment project underway. As a result, the Castle is closed to the public.